Fresh Pea Soup with Smoked Ham
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 500 ml hot vegetable broth (stock)
- 500 g shelled fresh peas
- 1 small bunch basil, chopped
- 120 g smoked ham, cut into small strips
- Piece of butter
- Salt and Pepper
- A few mint leaves, to garnish (optional)
- Toasted bread, to serve (optional)
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan, add the potatoes and shallot, and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, or until soft but not browned.
- Pour over the broth (stock) and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, then add the peas and basil, adjust the seasoning if necessary, and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth and homogenous.
- Melt the butter in a skillet (frying pan), add the ham, and gently fry over medium heat for 3–4 minutes until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Garnish the soup with the crisp ham and a few mint leaves, and serve with slices of toasted bread.
Source: 'Eataly: Contemporary Italian Cooking'
About the Book: This beautiful cookbook, created in collaboration with Eataly, one of the greatest Italian food brands, features 300 landmark recipes highlighting the best of contemporary Italian home cooking.